Chalk Signals

Tonight, when I was out walking the mean streets of St. Paul after midnight, I came across a hundred-jump hopscotch drawn on the sidewalk in neon, practically glow-in-the-dark pink chalk.  This caught my eye, and I began to wonder who possibly took the time out of their busy schedule to draw such an elaborate numerical hopscotch.  Then I thought, “Hey, maybe little people drew this.  You know, children?”

Then, as I continued my constitutional, I came across a series of chalk sketches, or etches, or drawings, if you will.  One enjoyable piece caught the image, or at least impression, of a school bus full of happy kids with a happy school bus driver.  But as much as I enjoyed the piece, I felt it lacked a workable dialogue of some sort.  So I took up a fat piece of chalk let discarded in the grass and drew the phrase, “Yay!” next to the bus driver’s head.  I felt this conveyed, more fully, what the graphic artist sidewalk little person(s) was going for.  

I like this idea of chalk signals.  Let the little people of this neighborhood merrily sketch all day long, under a bright yellow sun, and later, under the cool dark cloak of night, I will give words to their creations.  Together we will venture down a shared artistic path, each of us growing to the size of legend in the mind of the unknowable, unseen Other.

8 comments:

mm said...

I never understood the appeal of hopscotch. I do however understand the appeal of making lewd drawings with chalk onto the sidewalk. Very satisfying.

David Oppegaard said...

Hopscotch is used to promote eye foot coordination. It is a well-known fact Barry Sanders trained on the hopscotch ridden streets of Detroit well into his twenties, thus his nimblness around the edge of a good pulling guard.

Something dirty said...

We tried to play hopscotch but we didn't really know the rules or see what the point was, so we'd always end up quitting and playing tic tac toe instead.

I need some chalk.

bironic said...

I used to hop on pop with scotch, but he became angry and beat me. I don't hop on pop anymore. Now, I just scotch.

David Oppegaard said...

I like scotch, on the rocks. Let that ice melt a little, then consume. Then cover yourself in neon blue chalk and run naked through the dark streets of st. paul, screaming for peace.

I think more people need to scream for peace.

Something dirty said...

I was driving down scenic 3rd Street in St. Cloud the other day and I saw to 10 or 11 year old girls waving a sign on the sidewalk. I thought early-season lemonade stand or garage sale, but no. Their sign said 'Honk for peace' and when I honked beep-beep-beep they screamed and cheered! I didn't hear any other honks. I bet some people flipped them off.

Something dirty said...

that's two not to, sawry

Amethyst Vineyard said...

I never quite got the rules of hopscotch. I never quite got the rules of any childhood game, for that matter. I was too busy reading Anne of Green Gables in an endless cycle and infuriating my mother.

Post a Comment