Blogagaard Actually Sits Down And Works on Novel

Tonight I sat down and worked on The Cobalt Legacy for three hours. It's been a month since I settled down long enough to really write anything but a blog, and even this last month of blogging hasn't been my best. I tell people I don't believe in writer's block, and I don't. But I do believe in being lazy, and I do believe in freaking out when you sit down and open a 200-plus word document, the only thought in your mind "This is crap!" while so many easier things are sitting around your apartment, just calling for you to waste time and get distracted. Let's say a guitar, or whiskey, or season 5 of The Sopranos.

When I was in long term relationships I used to think it would free up so much time to write if I was single and didn't have to do all this couple shit like going on dates, talking, etc. Yet I now realize that sort of helped me focus since I only had this block of two hours when she'd be out of the apartment and if I didn't write then I probably wouldn't get it done later. I also thought going part time at my job would help me out. So far, I've mastered computer football and taken the art of the afternoon nap to new levels. Yet, going part time has allowed me to spend less time in the negative vibe world of the modern workplace and that's made me much happier overall, and has allowed me to hang out with my friends more than I used to. Also, I go to coffee shops now, something I never used to do. And coffee now helps prevent bad livers!

Steven Pressfield has a slim book out called the War of Art that I recommend for any artist procrastinators out there, of all types. He talks about the difficulty of constantly creating every day and calls the difficulty Resistance and offers advice on how to deal with and generally encourages the fuck out of you.

I'm simply glad that I've figured out how I'm going to rewrite this fourth draft of The Cobalt Legacy and that I've started again. Every day there's this intense pressure to write that hounds me and now that I've started again I feel like a sick man whose fever has finally broke. To quote Eminem: "Back to the lab again..."

8 comments:

Rand said...

Wow, Bloggy, you may think you were just jotting down some thoughts in this post, but you are RIGHT ON about free time vs. structured time. I just had three days at home by myself and I didn't get a damn thing done.

And I don't have anything as ambitious as a novel to work on, but I'm pretty sure I have more to offer to the world than showing up to my 9 to 5 and making sure my kids get to their music lessons on time.

I am going to check out The War of Art.

David Oppegaard said...

COOL, DUDE. IT'S A QUICK, THIN LITTLE BOOK. WHY AM i TYPING IN ALL CAPS!!!!?

David Oppegaard said...

instant pole: do you like rootbeer?

If so, what is your favorite brand?

Bonus question: can you guess Blogagaard's favorite? If you are right, I will give you one get out of a smack free card for the next time I feel like smacking you. Only the first winner wins, of course.

Becca said...

Poll? I need to do a taste-test. I'll get back to you.

I'm guessing you like A & W. If I win and never have the chance to meet Mr. Blogagaard, someone can have my "get out of smack for free" prize.

Becca said...

Do you have any pillow shrines left? Are you crying in your (root)beer?

Kelly Coyle said...

Should Blogagaard come to Duluth, we can, all of us (Becca), go to A&W with my kids and spouse. Nothing like (and I mean that) root beer, hamburgers, and ice cream in a crowded family van at a curb service restaurant. Then a nice round of mini-golf afterwards.

If it goes well, I'll drive everyone to the Dells next time.

Alex said...

Oh Bloggy. I have been dealing with the thesis thing lately and it's so nice to see I am not alone. I also thought that if I only didn't have to work during the day I would get this book thing done in no time. HA!

Just ask me who was on Oprah today? Go ahead, ask me.

Bon Jovi, that's who! It's so sad that I know that.

Becca said...

I'm in.

Post a Comment