Poem Read in The New Yorker Magazine While Lying on My Old Green Couch and Sipping Black Tea

“Sixtieth Birthday Dinner”

If in the men’s room of our favorite restaurant
while blissfully pissing riserva spumante
I punch the wall because I am so old,
I promise not to punch too carelessly.

Our friend Franco cooks all night and day
to transform blood and bones into osso buco.
He shouldn’t have to clean them off his wall
or worry that a customer gone cuckoo

has mushed his knuckles like a slugger
whose steroid dosage needs a little tweaking.
My life with you has been beyond beyond
and there’s nothing beyond it I’m seeking.

I just don’t want to leave it, and I am
with every silken bite of tiramisu.
I wouldn’t mind being dead
if I could still be with you.

                    -Michael Ryan

18 comments:

Voix said...

wow. That's beautiful. Thank you.

Lucas said...

I am not a poetry girl. Mostly, I don't like it unless it is funny and rhymes or comes in hiaku form. But I loved this! I think it's because it reminds me how I think I'll feel when I am sixty and still married. Thanks for sharing this Bloppie.

Rand said...

very nice - thanks for posting this poem.

David Oppegaard said...

No problem, my peeps. Rand, always good to see in a new face in Blogagaard Land. Welcome.

Rand said...

Thanks - Cap'n Geoff was my original guide to blog-land....his site is now sadly silent and without update for days...what to do, what to do

David Oppegaard said...

The Captain fades in and out, like Am rock Dj pirate in the sixites.

Rand said...

...like that Wall of Voodoo song from the '80's, "Mexican Radio"..."wish I was in Tijuana, eating barbequed Iguana..."

Anonymous said...

It's been over 24 hours, Dave. That must really be a big cup of tea.

David Oppegaard said...

there you go, Danny boy. I posted something new.

Anonymous said...

There is really someone named "Rand Park"? That you know?

David Oppegaard said...

No, I don't know him, but yes, I think he exists. Not everyone who comments on my blog knows me personally. Am I talking to Pale Poet right now?

Anonymous said...

What if you were?

David Oppegaard said...

I'd just love that, and hope he's coming to the reaidng tommorow night. And dinner at Pad Thai at 5:30, too, so he could meet my dad!

Lucas said...

Rand Park does indeed exist. I've met him. And he lives in our hood Bloppie. Good kid. Good kid.

Anonymous said...

I mean, Lucas, besides in some 30s spy serial.

Rand said...

Dang time machine - that dame with the sultry voice and the hourglass figure promised she'd bring me back after she was sure the coast was clear...nothing to do now but lean back in my desk chair, flip playing cards into my upturned fedora, and let the cool blue smoke of my unfiltered Camel drift toward the naked 40 watt bulb in my cold water flat here in Lex Ham...

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Post a Comment