Blogagaard As Temp

If you've been following this blog over the years, you know we here at Blogagaard, Inc. are no strangers to temp jobs, or transient labor in general. Last week, the day before my book was officially released, I started a new temp job at the University of Minnesota. I work in the history department as the office receptionist, and so far it's a pretty awesome gig. I get my own desk and computer, the pay is decent, and everyone's really nice (though some of the profs are a little over-caffeinated, but then again finals just ended). I really like the job, and this is such unfamiliar territory to me I'm sort of astounded, and sit behind my desk in mute appreciation of my luck, feeling as if I should smoke a cigar in celebration. Who knew a job existed out there that could fence this cowboy in? After all the horrible gigs, job karma is finally going my way. I feel like a beaten dog who's just been waiting for a kind hand to feed it...

Of course, the assignment only runs through the first week of February, though it could be extended. The U of MN has initiated a "hiring freeze", which means all new workers on campus for the duration will be temps. But as I've always said, all jobs are temp jobs. C'est la vie.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Um, it's a "hiring pause", get it right or Bob Bruininks will get you!

David Oppegaard said...

Bob Bruininks? is he related to hugh highjinks?

Post a Comment