Last Night

My friend Noah lent me a movie called “Last Night”. It’s not a big budget, famous actor thriller. It’s a stripped down, toned down flick about the last night on Earth. Offering no explanation for the End, other than that it will happen precisely at midnight (I imagine a sweeping wave of white light, sweeping all existence clean) it follow a handful of different characters as they encounter the End in a variety of ways. Think of it as a heartbreaking, grittier “Love Actually”.

Now, I haven’t finished this movie yet. I watched maybe the first twenty minutes, around 1:30 AM last Saturday morning, and then I went to sleep. For the remainder of the night I dreamt apocalyptic after apocalyptic scenario. You know, one of those feverish problem solving dreams you can’t wake up from? One “last night” I spent at my dad’s house in Maple Grove. Another “last night” I went over to my aunt’s. I went to Harriet Island and hung out with a group of people and watched the St. Paul skyline at night. My favorite, and least terrible, was simply going to the Tavern on Grand where they served free everything all night long. Actually, now that I write down these scenarios, they seem quite bland and boring. Let me assure you that they all had chilling, surreal aspects to them, and that I’ve probably forgotten the most interesting ones.

What would you do on your “last night”? I’d probably try to get laid. And drink really expensive, high quality martinis. And I’d write a few bad poems. Maybe one more stupid Blogagaard style “play”. I’d tell everyone I loved them and around 11:30 I’d find my way to a batting cage, slip into some spikes, and take a few last swings before that white light came for us all.

PostScript: North Korea has declared its intention to test a nuclear weapon, due to the “North American nuclear threat”.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's pronounced "NEW-Clee-ERR".

Anonymous said...

I'd kill as many people as I could and blow up a lot of shit. And probably steal a lot of stuff. Oh, and drive people off the road. That would be fun. Then smoke a joint and wait for the elevator to hell.

Michelle said...

You just had to remind us that "Last Night" may not be a fiction after all...

David Oppegaard said...

Sorry Michelle! At least you still have your looks!

And anonymous, I like your style! But hell would probably make you take the stairs.

Fucking hell!

Post a Comment