Blogagaard Has Cowboy Fever, Sedaris Overjoyed

This all started when I watched the kickass western-ish TV shows Deadwood and FireFly, and now I'm reading All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. Sedaris is overjoyed. He says I've been a cowboy all along, that I just needed to open up to my inner cowboy self. I confessed I'd always admired gunslingers, the life and death power they can wield in an instant. The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Louis L'Amour. I'd like to walk into a saloon and sense the uneasy fear of the barflies as I mosied up to the bar. Sedaris is more of a The Three Amigos sort of guy. He says Martin Short is a genius.

We'll see about that.

At the hour he'd always choose when the shadows were long and the ancient road was shaped before him in the rose and canted light like a dream of the past where the painted ponies and the riders of that lost nation came down out of the north with their faces chalked and their long hair plaited and each armed for war which was their life and the women and children and women with children at their breasts all of them pledged in blood and redeemable in blood only...
He rode with the sun coppering his face and the red wind blowing out of the west. He turned south along the old war trail and he rode out to the crest of a low rise and dismounted and dropped the reins and walked out and stood like a man come to the end of something.

-Cormac McCarthy

Lucky Day: I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!

6 comments:

David Oppegaard said...

I'm a cow-boy-baaaaby...

Save a horse, ride a cowboy!

she does her best to hold him, when his love comes to call...

Moncrief Speaks said...

Helllloooo... Brokeback Mountain?

You and Sedaris need to get comfy on the sofa and watch that. Have Kleneex handy.

David Oppegaard said...

Man, I still haven't seen that. okay.

Kelly Coyle said...

The question is, "What is the kleenex for?"

Michelle said...

How did you like Firefly? Love the theme song. Love the characters. Have a hard time watching it. (Must be the Reavers.)

Sorry I cannot be clever enough to follow former thread.

David Oppegaard said...

I really, really like Firefly. Now I have to watch Serinity again now that I've seen the show. I cannot believe the show was canceled after one freaking season yet "The Parkers" is still on.

Post a Comment