We'd been jettisoned and now drifted towards the gaping emptiness that had seemed so beautiful from so far away but now, upon closer inspection, was simply an absence of beauty, an absence of anything, really, just anti-matter turned inward. The closer we got the colder our breath became. You can breathe as long and as hard as you want, but there are some vacuums that refuse to be filled, that disdain our warmth as being too humid, too riotous and unseemly.

We'd known this all along, of course, but it wasn't until we stared directly into this new darkness that we felt it in the chilled marrow of our bones, rising up like an answer to something much larger than ourselves.

8 comments:

Becca said...

That picture took my breath away. Interesting effect. Then, I read and found out where it went! Cool.

Rand said...

My vaccuum cleaner at home is not performing up to expectations. It is not exactly refusing to be filled, but it is politely declining to be filled.

Can I borrow your dad's truck so that I can take my vaccuum to the repair shop?

mm said...

That's some good writing Dave. I promise not to make any bad puns about this post.

Rand said...

It is good writing Dave. Sorry to engage in verbal hijinks so early in the day.

David Oppegaard said...

Thank you, BEcca, Lex, and Mikey.

No worries, my peeps. I just woke up, and today feels like a good day. A rare day.

Friday!

David Oppegaard said...

And lo, it was a gorgeous spring friday, and it was good.

lp said...

Dave -- have fun tonight! Will you be at Lit6 tomorrow?

David Oppegaard said...

Thanks Shorty! Yes, I shall be there.

By the way everyone, I just sold those Asimov science fiction mags for a grand total of $1.

Post a Comment