The Space That Occupies Us

I've been thinking a lot about spatial relations today, mainly about the places we dwell in and how they affect us. I live in a small apartment. Does that make me a small person? Do I 'think smaller'? What will I be like after I've lived here for a year? Like a mole, hiding underground in his small yet cosy burrow? I find myself utterly exhausted if I leave my apartment for more than six hours. This effect is slightly midigated if I'm at work, a place I've dwelled in, on and off, for over three years now. I'm used to work, if not the nervous people who continually pass through it. The walls are familiar to me and I rarely get lost. But take me to Ikea. Take me to Target. Take me out to three hour class and then the bar. Take me abroad and make me walk strange streets. I get so freaking tired I'll walk into traffic sight unseen. I get sleepy.

When I was kid I could play outside all day long and be happy. In college I left my dorm room all the time, though as the college years wore on I stayed more and more in my room. Am I a spatial annomly? Is freedom a terrible thing after a while? Would I die without a burrow? Is this why the haunted dead are doomed to walk the earth eternally? Is hell never getting to go home again?

22 comments:

Something dirty said...

I'm concerned.

Geoff Herbach said...

I like my couch. It makes me sleepy just thinking about how I'm not on it.

On a different note, you should make sure you get out of that apartment a lot. Don't start piling newspapers around. Don't soak anything in kerosene. Make sure to open or throw out your mail (don't let it pile up). Go get some fresh air and talk to people, Bloppie. If not for you, for me.

David Oppegaard said...

Whoa, you guys are taking this post pretty seriously. I think I'm fine, I meant all this as more rhetorical. Doesn't anyone else get sleepy after extended periods from the home? Am I a homebody at 26? Maybe I have mono, or else I'm just really bored.

It's dangerous being a writer.

Geoff Herbach said...

get out of your apartment, bloppo.

David Oppegaard said...

No! It's where my TV is!

David Oppegaard said...

One of the problems of leaving your house is you invariably spend money to leave said house. Especially when it's cold out. Where would you have me go, Geoff? Would you rather I was a morose street person, kicking people and knocking their hats off as I pass?

Something dirty said...

That sounds fun. It's free, wholesome fun! Did you know sometimes they charge you for going to jail though? So you have to make sure you don't get caught.

Dave, I think the point I'd like to make is: nobody likes an agoraphobe.

David Oppegaard said...

That's okay, agoraphobes probably don't encounter many people. It's so wonderous how God works!

Jess said...

Dude, embrace hermitdom. I've found that out of everyone I know, I am the coolest, so I hang out with myself and some books on the couch, losing conciousness every few hours. Don't let your peers pressure you into being social. That's what blogs are for.

David Oppegaard said...

Thank you for your support, Jessi. These heathens just don't seem to understand.

Something dirty said...

To be fair, the captain's first comment seems to be mainly about fire prevention.

David Oppegaard said...

I took out my fire alarm months ago because it always went off when I cooked. I fear no fire.

Something dirty said...

So, really, this has become an intervention. Fear the fire. A little at least. C'mon.

Kelly Coyle said...

It's not as icky as the next thread turned out to be. I don't want to comment in that one again for fear that a furry is going to show up here and want to give me a hug.

David Oppegaard said...

Okay, that furry thing gives me the creeps.

Kelly Coyle said...

Yeah. I'm not really sure what it is, exactly. What gender to you suppose it is? I suppose "guy." Chicks dig degendered male anthropomorphic wolves.

Kelly Coyle said...

I am totally getting someone Chad's Undies for Christmas. Dirty?

Kelly Coyle said...

I'm sorry to garbage up your thread, Dave (it was going so well), but now look at this. I think the artist might have some "issues."

David Oppegaard said...

You're right about that. Maybe the artist is a flamoyantly gay man trapped in a woman's body.

Kelly Coyle said...

Can't someone think of something to put up here to make 20 comments?

David Oppegaard said...

20 comments really seems to be the magic number, doesn't it? At least for this blog. Don't worry, Kelly, we'll think of some way to get you into the ten-plus comment range. Maybe people fear you because you once graded us, graded us all!

Kelly Coyle said...

I am not going to blog furries.

Post a Comment