My First Time

It has come to the attention of Blogagaard that Meat Loaf is a hot button topic for some people (namely our good friend, The Captain!). We here at Blogagaard are not surprised. Such an explosive creative force is bound to generate such an explosive response. Far worse would be the artist's greatest enemy, Indifference. So, without further ado, is a more positive tesimonial from one David Oppegaard, a dear friend of those of us at Blogagaard:

"The first time I ever heard a song by Meat Loaf, I mean really HEARD it, I was playing pool in a friend's basement. I was thirteen, desperately smitten with a girl in my class whose name shall go nameless, in the off chance that anyone from my hick town ever reads this (I love you L.C.!) Anywhere, where was I? Oh yes. Playing pool in my friend Stoney's basement. Ah, good times. We would stay up all night, drinking our own personal 2 liter of Coca-Cola and/or Jolt, listen to music, play pool, watch terrible horror movies, and of course submerse ourselves in video games. What's that? Oh yes, Meat Loaf. The song was "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That". At my tender age I had no conception of Meat Loaf, or really romance beyond X-Men comics and The Autobiography of Malcom-X, which for some reason I really liked reading back then. But when I heard this sweet, seemingly endless song, I finally had myself an anthem for what I felt for old-what's-her-name. A song to get me through the long, dark nights of love unrequited, which was all love for me until the age of 17, when my first girlfriend finally made me a man. Thanks, Sarah! I'd do anything for love, but I won't move back to L.C.!"

12 comments:

Lucas said...

Blogagaard,
Your post had me wondering if you had a personal theme song? The song that would be playing in the movie of your life as you walked slow motion down the street while the camera zoomed in on your various features? And is Meat Loaf responsible for your personal theme song or does some other artist best represent you? Just wondering.

David Oppegaard said...

I listened to a lot of Guns N Roses growing up; Appetite was the first tape I ever bought, and I've never bought an albumn of anything... I'd have to go with "Night Train" off that albumn. "Flying like an aeroplane... feeling like a space brain..."

What about other dear readers? What about Lucas? What is your personal theme song?

Lucas said...

I don't really have a personal theme song myself but if I had to pick a song for the slow motion walking down the street scene in the movie of my life, it would have to be "Cocky" by Kid Rock. Yes, I love Kid Rock and I'm not afraid to admit it. No one else gets my long haired head bangin' like the K I D. I like it loud, at 80mph with the windows down. And I'm not Hispanic, but I'd like Selma Hayak to play me in the movie of my life. Thank you.

David Oppegaard said...

For soem reason I really like the song Kid did with Sheryl Crow.

Lucas said...

That's it? No comments about the fact that I love a greasy, disgusting, trailer trash rapper/rocker? That I can sing all his songs by heart? That I went to go see him in concert? I expected more out of you David. Especially from an admitted GNR fan.
p.s. Axel Rose is an arrogant mofo and Kid Rock could totally kick his ass! But I still love you.

David Oppegaard said...

Sorry, but Kid Rock isn't as annoying to me as he is to most people. He makes me laugh; I heard him in an interview talking about how he wanted to write serious songs like Springsteen. Yeah, right. I don't own an albumn or anything, but there's worse out there.

Steph Wilbur Ash said...

I like Kid Rock. I like that song. "My name is KID!" I like Kid Rock because he is so good at being ironic, so comfortable in it. It's like if Willie Nelson and Will Smith had a baby.

Lucas said...

Mrs. Ash,
I love that you've chosen two celebrity parents for Kid! But Wil Smith is a bit of goody-goody. I think I would have gone with Willie Nelson and Mike D. of the Beastie Boys (another of my personal favs because he has a much fouler mouth than Wil Smith). I love people watching and this would be great game to play while people watching. Quick! Get me to a mall or an aiport. I'm dying to try this out.

Geoff Herbach said...

Here's a little Beastie for you: I'll ride with you if you take me to the border. The sheriff's after me for what I did to his daughter. I did it like this; I did it like that. I did it with a wiffle ball bat...

Oh, poetry!

Some Beastie is Kid's father. So sweet that Kid has a Jewish mother (or father).

Lucas said...

Oh Captain, how I love you. Below is my favorite.......

Dogs love me cause I’m crazy sniffable
I bet you never knew I got the ill peripheral
In your home I’m cloned I’m on your headphones
I love it when you spazz out all alone
Cause I’m that fool that broke the key
I’m unlockable so don’t check me
Got weight on my shoulders and things on my mind
The sky is falling and I’m falling behind
So I synthesize sounds as I patch my brain
Insane mind games move quick like flames

I even made a shirt that says "Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable" and yes, I actually wear it. Beasties 4-eva.

Geoff Herbach said...

Ummm... I love the Beasties so. And even at the most vulgar, they don't make me feel dirty, like Meatloaf does. I would do anything for love, but I won't do that, which means, Mr. Loaf, there are things you wouldn't do for love.

No sleep til brooklyn, Lucas!

Lucas said...

That little ditty "No Sleep Till Brookyln" was the only way I got through 5 summers of working at a summer camp. None of the other staff knew very much of the Beasties but that song comes in very handy when one is surrounded by children, sleep deprived, getting only very bad coffee, in an environment where drinking, smoking and swearing are prohibited. (Sound familiar Mrs. Ash?) Props to my B Boys.

Post a Comment