Blogagaard To Interview Frederick Busch at Hamline University



GLS to host writer Frederick Busch for a Reading October 17, and Public Interview October 18.
He will give a reading in Sundin Performance Hall at 7:30pm on Monday, October 17. Several of his more recent books will be available for sale prior to the reading. On Tuesday, October 18, he will participate in a public interview with GLS Dean Mary Rockcastle and MFA student David Oppegaard in Giddens Alumni Learning Center, Room 100E at 7:30pm. An edited version of the interview will be published in the fall 2006 volume of Water-Stone Review.
Frederick Busch is Fairchild Professor of Literature at Colgate University where he teaches creative writing and directs the Living Writers program. He is the author of over seventeen novels, four collections of short stories, two works of nonfiction, and numerous essays and articles. His short story collection, The Children in the Woods: New and Selected Stories was a finalist for the PEN/Faulkner Award, as was his acclaimed novel, The Night Inspector. He has received the PEN/Malamud Award for achievement in short fiction, the National Jewish Book Award, and fellowships from the NEA and Guggenheim Foundations. Busch has been described as a "writer's writer". He peoples his writing with ordinary, albeit intelligent people who attempt to lead "just and...loving lives." The domesticity that inhabits his work is the vehicle by which he seeks to convey the extraordinariness of everyday life. Marriages, relation-ships, the death of children, the impact of war on ordinary citizens, and the inner workings of ones' life all are revealed in his writing.
His latest book is North: A Novel, published by W. W. Norton & Company (May 2005) These events are free and open to the public.

11 comments:

Voix said...

I am SO there.

You rock.

Something dirty said...

Did you/do you go to Hamline? Nice campus.

David Oppegaard said...

Yes, Miss Dirty. I'm getting my MFA in Writing at Hamline. I started my thesis this fall, which as a novel about a guy who inherits a castle and a lot of familial pain...I should graduate this spring.

David Oppegaard said...

most of the jokers who comment on this blog, brady and geoff and Mrs. Ash, are going to Hamline for an MFA in Writing as well.

Voix said...

Dude, don't forget the voix, I'm the creative non-entity in the Hamline crowd. Good luck with the interview.

David Oppegaard said...

Hey Michele, sorry I forgot. They told me you were at the reading tonight but I didn't see you ):

I did see Lucas though, met her for the first time in real life! Quite surreal, but enjoyable.

Lucas said...

How did I meet Michele and you didn't even see her? It was surreal and overwhelming to meet everyone at once. Maybe sometime I can spend longer than five minutes saying hello. We'll have to have a happy hour sometime or something. I appreciate all the smiles I received from everyone. I feel a bit like a blog crasher at times since you've all been together for a while but everyone was really nice last night. Thanks.

David Oppegaard said...

Don't worry, there's no such thing as blog crashing in my book. Public discourse is the point of blogs! Otherwise I'd turn off the comments and live in a cold, sterile world.

Voix said...

I was right in front of your face. Have we actually been introduced? I saw you, but was distracted and in a hurry to get home last night.

Break a leg on that interview. I expect a full report.

I say blogger happy hour sometime very soon.

Lucas said...

If you can call an introdction as "I'm Michele" followed by a hasty exit, then yes. We were introduced. I believe I shouted "Goodbye my new best friend" as the door swung shut. And I'm all over that happy hour!

David Oppegaard said...

I'm going to do a post later today about the interview. Lots to write, but I'm at work until 2 and it makes me jumpy.

Post a Comment