Welcome to the Dave Cave

My new apartment is too small for a housewarming party, so I have decided to host it on-line today. I don't have any pictures of it, so I will describe it to you:

I live in a studio. A basement studio. I live in the rear east corner of a two story building on St. Clair, in the basement level. My windows, if you were to walk by them, would show me your legs, cutting my view of you off at the waist. My few visiting friends now walk by my east window, bend down, and say hey, Dave, are you home? I have three windows, total. I have two closests, on your right and left as you enter. They are big closets; both closests you can enter, shut the door behind you, and maybe collapse. The biggest closest I have turned into my library. It is big enough for one end table, one thin bookshelf, and a gray recliner chair that when extended touches the both of the rooms farthest walls. This is my sanctuary. I go in this room and pretend it is a full-sized second room, that I keep my bed in the main room out of eccentricity. When you pass the two closets, heading east, there is a small bathroom to your right with a huge, vast mirror taking up all of the wall until the sink. The tub is small, and I must stick my legs up in the air to take a bath. I have a pale blue shower curtain, cloth-like and new, a housewarming gift. Beyond the bathroom you have entered the Room. On your immediate left is my twin bed, my desk, and then a long green couch that has been in my family for many years. The couch and matching green chair form a living room, facing as they do my 19 inch TV with old-school antennae. On your right is some cupboards, a sink, a half-sized stove, an island from Target to chop things on, and a huge, new-ish refreidgerator.

I can run through my entire apartment in 4.9 seconds. I just timed myself.

Welcome to the Dave Cave. I hope you enjoy yourself while visiting.

11 comments:

L said...

Mr. Oppegaard, the description of your library has made my day. It sounds delightful. I love you.

4.9 seconds seems a little slow. Is that from one end to the other or around the room in a circle with time for dodging furniture. 4.9 seconds makes me imagine the room is 40 yards long.

Geoff Herbach said...

I don't buy the 4.9 seconds. You didn't time yourself, Oppe. I bet you can do it in 2 seconds.

What I like to imagine is that long mirror and your short bathtub, which causes you to stick your legs in the air. Are you able to see yourself while you bathe? It sounds like a wonderful apartment.

I'll bring over a bottle of whisky sometime and we'll toast the place. I will not, howver, get in your short bathtub, though I might do some stretching I learned in Ballet in your mirror.

Congratulations.

Geoff Herbach said...

Where are the other guests oppie? I wanted to meet your sister.

David Oppegaard said...

trust me, you don't want to meet my sister

David Oppegaard said...

But I do encourage all my visitors to picture themselves with a complimentary beverage of some kind. Imagine I have every sort of liqour imaginable, an endless tap of beer, and Dire Straits is playing softly in the background.

Steph Wilbur Ash said...

God! This pina colada is fantastic! And your french onion dip is like none I've ever tasted.

I'm so glad I wore this long gown, too. I would have felt underdressed in knit pants.

I'd really like to see the library but Brady won't leave it. So I'm just standing in the living room by the green couch, dancing around a little bit with this pina colada, singing "He's gotta daytime job, he's doin' all right...."

It looks like the Captain is getting ready to breakdance.

neha said...

knock knock
who's there?
boo
boo who?
dont cry it's just me!!

and please open the door!! ;)

David Oppegaard said...

Sometimes I hear noises at two AM. I only have to sit up in bed and survey my entire basement domain; everything's fine.

But if this town floods, I'm fucked.

Anonymous said...

I know what's in your apartment because I personally handled half of it.

and it was awesome.

L said...

Can you guys turn down the Meatloaf in there? I'm trying to read in here.

Steph Wilbur Ash said...

Just stick around for a while, Double B. Like a bat out of hell we'll be gone when the morning comes.

Post a Comment