Meaning in Work?

I have decided to reopen my inquiry into the meaning of life, spurred on by the comments of the mysterious neha.

For my third part of the inquiry I want to examine work as a possible meaning to life. Many people find meaning in their jobs, and some even find Meaning in their work. Artists seem to find a lot of Meaning in their work, and I guess writing is what keeps me chugging along as well. I've written six unpublished books, a ridiculous number, and if I didn't have an agent I think I'd start to feel like that idiot kid we had on our football team who liked to run as hard as he could into the concrete lockeroom wall, again and again and again. I've thought a lot about what a piece of work matters if it has no audience, or if your audience consists mostly of ex-girlfriends who no longer are willing to read your newest work. I'd like to think the work stands for itself, that I don't need any pats on the back, that the process of creation was rewarding enough. And to some extent it is. How days have I gone to bed happy, feeling like I actually did something with my life, because I had written five pages?

Yes, writing is how I justify everything else in my life. I keep going so I can write. But is justification the same thing as Meaning? And is creating something what gives a person meaning? (Like kids. or a new zoning ordinance). And what about people who don't create anything, who work at our gas stations and Targets and whatnot? Where do they find their meaning? Do they even need meaning? I've already looked at love and travel as possible answers; but what if you worked at Target, loved no one because of some horrific accident, and had no money to travel? Where would you find your meaning? In moving product? And if you did find your meaning in moving product, would that meaning be on the same meaning level with someone who found meaning in tending to the poor, or in writing fantastic requiems? And if you think all meaning levels are the same, as long as someone can find Meaning in something, wouldn't that itself somehow render Meaning meaningless, simply turn it into a relative value that has nothing to do with Quality (Robert Pirsig style) ?

People are the only beings who really seem to wrestle with this idea of meaning. If you think hard about a lazy cat's daily routine, minute-to-minute, the whole thing seems so meaningless you can only laugh, laugh, laugh. Maybe it would be easier if we were all non-sentient beings. I would like to be a flying squirrel, or a grizzly bear.

17 comments:

L said...

As a kid, I used to sit in the back porch of an old woman whose lake cabin was a few down from ours. She had a feeder bolted to a tree in her yard and a yard light that illuminated it. We'd sit and watch the flying squirrels soar down to the feeder. You would make a great flying squirrel, Mr. Oppegaard. (And not just because of the loose skin hanging between your extremities.)

L said...

The old woman did not have a back porch. Her house did. Sorry.

Steph Wilbur Ash said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steph Wilbur Ash said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steph Wilbur Ash said...

Oh, she had a back porch allright. She had a lot of junk in her trunk too.

Steph Wilbur Ash said...

But seriously folks, Where do people get their meaning? They get it from their suffering. People suffer, and then they transcend their suffering, and through this transcendence do people find meaning.

Everyone suffers. Everyone, therefore, has the ability to make meaning out of something.

Hopefully, what we make meaning out of is also the thing that alleviates our suffering.

That's what I've learned. Booyah!

Geoff Herbach said...

I get my meaning from human connection. Some people call it PDA. I'll call it flesh on flesh meaning-making in public areas.

Quality. If the action is meaningful, you will do it with all of your attention and loving. Meaning is in the action, like when I hug you in public places, Dave. I mean business.

neha said...

ummmmm.
"I cannot express it; but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is or should be an existence of yours beyond you. What were the use of my creation, if I were entirely contained here?"

[the genuis of e bronte again, whose work also, incidently was not acknowledged till she was long dead. It got published because the sisters gave their own money to get it published.]

wat say you? and looking forward to the next part...

Steph Wilbur Ash said...

neha,

You (or e bronte) seem to be saying that meaning is in the legacy we leave. Me--I've got the children and my crazy scrapbooking projects!

Am I feeling you?

Geoff Herbach said...

Meaning can't be in legacy. There's a very good chance no one will ever look at your scrapbook, Mrs. Ash. Probably not, to be honest. Meaning has to come from the act of making the scrapbook (I know how you love to scrapbook). It cannot gain its worth through the acceptance of others. There may never be others, Mrs. Ash. You can only control yourself (sort of control yourself).

Steph Wilbur Ash said...

I'm not saying I make meaning through legacy, Captain. Indeed, I believe meaning is made in real time, not in retrospect.

But it does beg the question, why do we do the things we do, then? Particularly the unpleasant things, like pairing our husband's socks or listening to the incessant, unintelligible chatter of a five-year-old? Why don't we all just sit around eating Doritos out of the bag while masturbating, as long as we promise to control ourselves and only do this five or six times a day?

Geoff Herbach said...

Sorry, I'm working on a different blog. I am not west egg literati.

Geoff Herbach said...

I also meant canoe expeditions. I would like to go to the exhibition. But would not lead said exhibition. Sounds like a lot of paperwork. Ok. I'm done.

David Oppegaard said...

This discussion is great. We have set a new number of blog comments record for my self. Woo hoo! People said I couldn't get four people to read my blog, and how wrong they were!

David Oppegaard said...

Neha, your qoute:

"I cannot express it; but surely you and everybody have a notion that there is or should be an existence of yours beyond you. What were the use of my creation, if I were entirely contained here?"

I feel like there should be an existence of mine beyond me, but that doesn't mean it is there. I feel like I'll never know, and that kind of drives me up the wall. If I had more faith in such an existence, maybe I wouldn't drink so much tea and cola. So far the only existence beyond me I've found is my own writing and the place it occupies beyond me, Dave Blogagaard.

neha said...

Mrs. Ash,

i think what the quote means is - that this now is not all that there is to me, (or you either). The fact that you take care of your baby, means there is some implicit belief that there is more to you than here and now.

There does seem something driving us, and the whole problem is we dont know who/what and where to. The idea is to understand the nature of 'us' and the nature of 'the power that drives us' and in understanding both, we would probably fulfil the purpose of our existance.

David,
I know what you mean,,,, i am much better at quotes so here is one from the movie - the thin red line -
"In this world a man by himself is Nothing." "And there aint no world but this one"
"You are wrong there Top. I've seen another world" "Sometimes I think it was just my imagination"
"Oh then, you have seen things I never will"

and do you read bronte's poetry - she really puts this frustrtation to pen so well, so beautifully. The best part? usually before the poem ends, she finds what she is looking for.

David Oppegaard said...

I have not read any poetry by Emily Bronte other than your qoutes. Fiction is heartbreaking enough for me, so I don't read much poetry, although I like most of what I do read...I read a huge anthology of Pablo Neruda once and gave up trying to figure them out and just let all the beautiful words wash over me.

Post a Comment