Blogagaard Watches Stupid Movie

I should have taken it as an omen when my microwave popcorn did all but explode in the microwave last night, flooding my little apartment and the hallways throughout my building with that terrible, charred popcorn smell. But did I listen? Hell no. Instead I made a second, more successful batch of popcorn and watched... Garden State.

If you don't know about this movie, God bless you, because it rolled out under the power of a pretty formidable marketing machine. The main characters are played by Zach Braff, of "Scrubs" TV fame, and Natalie Portman, a beautiful actress whose career peaked when she was about ten years old in The Professional. From the back of the DVD"Twentysomething, emotionally detached Andrew Largeman returns home to New Jersey after nine long years..." Christ. I can't go on with this review anymore. What a fucking waste of time. Suffice it to say, Garden State tried to be a romantic comedy revolving around processing a painful childhood and the death of a parent. The director seemed unable to go totally wacky or go totally serious, and gave us instead a tepid piece of crap.

9 comments:

Becca said...

Okay, I love Garden State. Love. Lines memorized, soundtrack memorized. I liked the random silly, but still serious on occasion. Hmmmmmm...

This explains a lot.

David Oppegaard said...

Oh yeah. I just did not like it. It was like two different movies I'd already seen, niether of which I really liked that much the first time. You know what movie did a good job with family death yet provided humor? Pieces of April.

Becca said...

I haven't seen that one yet. I'll remember it next time I hit Block Buster.

We saw Garden State from different perspectives. I haven't had a parent die.

Voix said...

I have a friend who told me that you have to be a Jew from New Jersey to get the humor in that movie. Kinda like it helps to be Catholic and watching the movie Dogma.

He was a Jew from New Jersey, by the way. Not just saying that.

Alex said...

I'm a Jew from St. Paul and I loved Dogma, so go figure. Maybe it was just Ben Afleck.

Somehow I am more intrigued than ever by Garden State. I guess what they say about any press is good press is true.

Jess said...

Oh Bloggy, you cynic! Your stank popcorn made you crabby. I love the movie, though I agree with you about its flaws. What other movies do you hate?

David Oppegaard said...

Generally, I'm not a hater when it comes to movies. I can usually tell from a preview and maybe one review if I'll like a film or not. Ask me about some specific ones and I'll totally reply.

Becca said...

Here are a couple topics:

Harry Potter books/movies
Which Romantic comedies you can sit through
Best Suspense

Ready? Go!

Sgt. Misty Peppers said...

I like snuff films

Post a Comment