Which City Do You Live In?

"They say that every time they go below they find something has changed in the lower Eusapia; the dead make innovations in their city; not many, but surely the fruit of sober reflection, not passing whims. From one year to the next, they say, the Eusapia of the dead becomes unrecognizable. And the living, to keep up with them, also want to do everything that the hooded brothers tell them about the novelties of the dead. So the Eusapia of the living has taken to copying its underground copy.

They say that this has not just now begun to happen: actually it was the dead who built the upper Eusapia, in the image of their city. They say that in the twin cities there is no longer any way of knowing who is alive and who is dead."

-Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't even rate a mention, Dave? No recounting the wonderful pizza you ate last night? No describing the five beers you left with? You have hurt us, Dave.

Anonymous said...

I miss you!

David Oppegaard said...

I am sorry, but my experience with irma, alexa, and even scott was so profound I did not even think of attemping to convey it in words. But I should let you know, what remains of that beer is trembling with beer fear, because they know they will not last long.

Not long at all.

Ps.

Cocktails are a wonderful thing. Last night I finally felt like George Plimpton.

David Oppegaard said...

ps 2. thanks!

Becca said...

Whoa. It's like the commentors have passed out or something.

It's nice that Irma misses you.

Are you The Cat Whisperer?

David Oppegaard said...

Everybody bails from blogland on weekends. No longer trapped by their jobs, I guess they decide to really live for two days out of seven.

Becca said...

That happens on e-mail too. I can't blog from work, though. Drat the SmartFilter. Oh well. I feel guilty enough just doing e-mail from work.

I just watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" again tonight. Anyone have the Windex thing really work?

Geoff Herbach said...

Is this a good book? Will you tell me about it?

Amethyst Vineyard said...

I live in a city where drunk men yell 'whoo!' at you as you ride by them on a scooter. And where people pee in the street. And drinks called 'hurricanes' (tasteless) are sold and downed by people willing to ignore the fact that it tastes like cherry nyquil for the sheer drunkening powers of SoCo and rum.

I live in a city that smells like urine and vomit, one big homeless man.

Post a Comment