Blogagaard Realizes He is Embodiment of Lynard Skynard Song

You know that song "Simple Man" by Skynard? Well, this morning, as I trudged ten blocks to my new dentist (who practices in the upstairs of a huge old house on Grand/Hamline) I realized I am like the guy in that song. I am not stylish, or hip, or trendy, or well-versed on trendy music/politics/etc., or even a snappy dresser, but I am relatively satisfied with my life. There are worse Skynard songs to embody, I suppose:

Mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say.
And if you do this
It will help you some sunny day.
Take your time... Don't live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
Go find a woman and you'll find love,
And don't forget son, There is someone up above.
(Chorus)
And be a simple kind of man. Be something you love and understand. Be a simple kind of man. Won't you do this for me son, If you can?Forget your lust for the rich man's gold All that you need is in your soul, And you can do this if you try. All that I want for you my son, Is to be satisfied.
(Chorus)
Boy, don't you worry... you'll find yourself.
Follow you heart and nothing else.
And you can do this if you try.
All I want for you my son, Is to be satisfied.
(Chorus)

I grew up in a house on the edge of a 4-lane highway, and across the highway was a steel mill called Crysteel. Sometimes at sunset in the summertime I would go sit on the grassy hill behind our garage and peer across the highway and watch the sun set behind the steel mill and pretend I was Luke Skywalker, waiting for my destiny to arrive so I could go into Katashie and pick up some power converters. Luke was also a simple kind of man (but with the Force).

11 comments:

bironic said...

I used to pretend I was Luke Skywalker too. Yup, I was a huge STAR WARS geek. But damn, dude...it's TOSHI STATION not Katashie! The force is not with you, my friend. :)

David Oppegaard said...

My bad. I sort of knew I was misspelling it, but too lazy to go google it up.

bironic said...

That's okay, God still loves you. I've seen the original trilogy so many times it truly is a sickness. Although I can't credit Lucas alone for my obvious insanity.

Something dirty said...

Yeah, how dare you! Matt Belcher, are you the intense star wars guy who can recite every line?

mm said...

Shinedown does a kickass cover of that song. Long live Skynard!

bironic said...

Dirty, I used to be. And I still can in a pinch. "I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, and they're not much bigger than 2 meters."

Something dirty said...

:)

Alex said...

David, to me, you will always be the embodiment of another Skynard song:

Well I got that green light baby
I got to keep movin on
Well I got that green light baby
I got to keep movin on
Well I might go out to california
Might go down to georgia
I dont know...

David Oppegaard said...

Thanks, Alex. That's an awesome theme song. They call me the breeze...

Mikey, Shinedown is slowly winning my approval.

Steph Wilbur Ash said...

Oppe--when my boys get big enough, I'm gonna read this post to them.

They already believe they are Luke Skywalker (actually, the Big One believes himself to be Darth Maul--so I've got other fish to fry first).

David Oppegaard said...

Fantastic, Steph! You can call me and I'll read it to them over the phone if you want!

Post a Comment