Greg Brown

Greg Brown is a great songwriter/singer/guitarist straight outta Iowa. They stick him in the folk section at your local music shop, but he's more rock and blues a lot of the time, and has a great deep voice. If you haven't already, you've got to check him out. I've seen him twice live, and he was great. A good gateway record is "The Dream Cafe", or perhaps "The Poet Game". A lryic sample from his song "Two Little Feet":

John Muir walked away into the mountains
in his old overcoat a crust of bread in his pocket
we have no knowledge and so we have stuff
and stuff with no knowledge is never enough to get you there
it just won't get you there

a culture exploded into knickknacks and memories
Eagle and Bear trinkets I don't think it's good
old man what am I trying to say
it's a it's a messed up world
but I love it anyway

12 comments:

David Oppegaard said...

"If your dream came true would you still want it then?"

-Greg Brown

Jeff Smieding said...

"Dream, dream, dream, dream"

-The Everly Brothers

David Oppegaard said...

How'd you know, App? I was takin' a nap.

David Oppegaard said...

I stay up very late, go to work in a haze, and come home and crash. My best time is from 7PM-2 AM, when my mind is luminous.

Amethyst Vineyard said...

Sounds like the kind of music you can grow out your hair to.

David Oppegaard said...

he is, if you have good long growing hair.

David Oppegaard said...

I'm serious dear peeps, this artist has added much, much, to my life. His songs are like a balm for the soul.

Amethyst Vineyard said...

musical cortisone.

David Oppegaard said...

he'll put the spark in your sparkle.

Something dirty said...

I should listen to more music. It feeds the soul, right? Do you think Greg Brown has songs online, on iTunes or something?

Something dirty said...

Downloading music for free makes me nervous. I'm a nervous nellie.

David Oppegaard said...

Brown's label is Red House Records, a small label out of St. Paul. I buy his CD's and it makes me feel good.

Post a Comment