Some Thoughts on Wayne's World

First of all, I want to say I once worked with a guy named Wayne, and he was the uncoolest person I have ever met. He used to work for the U.S. military at Fort Knox, and I was once found him flat on his back on the floor of the exam room trying to Pledge the hell out of something. He asked for my help to stand back up and said he felt like an overturned turtle...Later on, he almost poisoned the bosses wife by filling the tea pot with some clear chemical cleaning agent which she thought was water, and almost made tea out of. Now that I think about it, he was the funiest guy ever without trying. So here's to you, Wayne who got fired in just a few months!

Second, I watched the movie Wayne's World tonight. I was astounded by how many lines, and scenes, now seem divinely funny, as if they had been written down all-time in some eternal comedic book. This movie shaped my entire generation of fellow Americans, and I'm sure it's one of the reasons I find it hard, to this very day, to write anything with a serious tone. Maybe you're tired of this movie, maybe you're sick of it. But you cannot deny that this was a right movie at a right time. This movie (1992) really launched the 90's off right (along with GNR's Use Your Illusion albums and Nirvana and Pearl Jam) and I, personally, am still running off this high-octane fuel. And it's not like the movie's rocket surgery or anything. It's really two chimps on a davenport...with the aid of Alice Cooper, Chris Farley, Al from Married With Children, Rob Lowe, Tia C., Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Laura Flynn Boyle ( as Stacy!!!)

Third, party on Wayne, and party on Garth. May your comedic stylings burn forever, like a beacon of irrevence.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heres a comment for you

I think Wayne's World represented a 'last gasp' of the hair metal 80's, along with G'N'R. Ironically, bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc. were providing a sound and culture completely different from the groupie fueled hair metal of the 80s.

In fact, if you look at GNR contemporaries in the later 90s, record sales were dismal. Even Motley Crue, who seemed so invincible, had terrible record sales for all their CDs in the 90s.

So, we're probably lucky that 92 was the last we heard of GNR. They went out on top, and didn't have to suffer the indignity of being pulled under by boy bands and nu-metal.

Anonymous said...

Blech, The Spaghetti Incident? Ick...worst...GNR....ever.

Yeah, I was thinking orginal GNR songs. I think that album was all about the benjamins.

Anonymous said...

Poor Wayne,
he had no brain.

The so called "spagetti incident" sounds like fun. Everybody bake yourself some spagetti, throw it 'round, make a mess.

I imagine these two battling for championship in a GNR triva contest... Who knows more obscure facts, Mikey or the so called handsomened?

- erika

David Oppegaard said...

I also think Wayne's World owes a lot to This is Spinal Tap, a connection I never made before. They even wear the same ridiculous wigs...

Post a Comment