Schizophrenia

I've been reading about schizophrenia today. It's a common misconception that schizophrenia means divided personalities, or two or more "people" in the same head. It really is more about fractured thinking. Delusions. You can hallucinate hearing things, seeing things, feeling things (as in tactile sensory input), and rarely you can also think you smell something you cannot possibly smell at the time, like the leather from your first baseball glove while you're swimming in a lake somewhere. The brain runs amuck, and you're at its mercy. How frightening to slip into a world like that (unless of course your real life is worse than the feeling of fire ants crawling over you at all times, a constant stream of voice interrupting your thoughts, the terrified paranoia of being hunted by aliens, and visions of dead loved ones walking up to you while you're waiting for the bus).

You could be kidnapped by your own mind, tortured worse than any Iraqi prisoner.

Chew on that, people.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're doing psychology a service and getting it right.

So many get it wrong...

Geoff Herbach said...

That's scary business. I tape wet pieces of leather in my nose so I can smell my first baseball glove all day long. Once I was bitten by fire ants and my armpits swelled up, which is strange. Seems to me I'm fully loaded, psychologically speaking, to have the kind of waking nightmares that would occur in a schizo-Bloppagaard world. That makes me happy.

L said...

I'm thinking of getting a second income, preferrably something involving tattoos. Anyone got a suggestion of where I might find such a place?

David Oppegaard said...

Is that a reference to House of Leaves, Brady? Or are you serious?

David Oppegaard said...

Thanks, Geoff.

I think...

L said...

I have never read House of Leaves. The Captain was reading it once and stopped because it gave him nightmares. I will not touch that book. I do not need anymore nightmares. They are scary.

Geoff Herbach said...

House of Leaves scared the shit out of me. It was like delivering papers the morning after I first saw Amityville Horror, except worse, because I couldn't ride my bike home and make it all better. The shit was stuck in my head, man!

David Oppegaard said...

I read House of Leaves cover to cover, including the little fake footnotes. After the first hundred pages it flls off in the scary department, and it ultimately fails as a novel despite its awesomeness. For one thing, it's a story with no middle. Literally, one long sentence takes up around fifty pages in the middle.

L said...

Middles are hard.

neha said...

i was listening to the radio and the scientist there said - 'delusion is when logically things dont add up.' the example he gave was when you look in the mirror it will be your own image you will see. (some people have a delusion that they are seeing someone else in the mirror.)

but then, dont you think we are all in a dilusion, because logically things never add up. we are already kidnapped my own mind.

btw, why such an arbit reference to an iraqy prisoner?

neha said...

which incidentally means that i am not my own mind. try thinking then, who am i. funny isnt it? i think with my mind who am i when i am not my mind.

ps: just clarifying - i mean brain when i mean the physical thing, and mind when it is working and thinking thoughts.

pps: do i appear smart, brady? clarity in thinking or some smart alec comments? am i getting there?

David Oppegaard said...

I am still pissed about the prisoners mistreated in Iraq. They are always near my mind.

Post a Comment