What Is the Point of Life?

An Inquiry in Four Parts

I haven’t worked in an actual workplace for almost four months, and let’s just say I’ve had plenty of time to ponder the meaning of life. When I was in college I thought travel, mostly worldwide travel, would answer this question. Oh, how wrong I was.

You are the same person no matter where you travel. A place can affect you, but unless you travel hardcore, Peace Corps style it’s pretty hard to find your Meaning there, and even then chances are your meaning will be something stupid, like "conserve water" or "eat only vines". Usually when you travel you have good luck and bad luck, some random stuff happens, and then you’re home again with a few pictures and maybe some souvenir knick-knackery. Anyway, how could Paris reveal the Meaning of Life when you can’t even find it in your own hometown?

I think if there is a meaning to life, you do not need an oversized backpack to find it.

4 comments:

L said...

Maybe Paris Hilton has the Meaning of Life and she is hoarding it.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I brought back the meaning of life from Hungary. It's sitting in my freezer.

David Oppegaard said...

dead Hungarian rats don't represent the meaning of life, Mikey. You've been at Macalester too long...

Steph Wilbur Ash said...

I found the meaning of life in the back of a 1976 Volkswagen Bus. Someone left a bag of it in the "map drawer."

Post a Comment